On September 8, celebrate International Literacy Day with these 8 fun activities. But don’t stop there! Reading is essential to learning, so make every day a literacy day in your house.
- Get a library card—and pick up a book!
- Give a book as a gift.
- Book swap. Get other families involved in a periodic book swap where kids can lend and borrow books from friends in the neighborhood or other social circles.
- Get older siblings to read to their younger siblings.
- Practice reading “popcorn” style. Each family member can read a page or two and then “popcorn pass” to the family member of their choice.
- Take turns choosing the book or the reading location of the night.
- Choose a book that has been turned into a movie. Read the book first and then schedule a family movie night to see the book come to life on the screen.
- Plan themed reading nights. Pitch a tent in the living room and “camp out” while you read, or build a “bear cave” fort and read books about bears. Let your imagination take your themes to the next level.